An online Registration Form will be available on the website from November 1st – 30th. No entries can be accepted after registration has closed.
Artists new to the Trail must register one week in advance of the deadline so that any problems can be addressed in good time.
Once you are registered, you will receive regular email Newsletters with support and information about the Trail timeline, what needs to be done, what is happening and when.
2. Who can take part ?
The Chichester Open Studios Art Trail is open to all artists and makers resident in the Chichester area or those who have their full-time art studio in the area.
The Chichester area for this purpose refers to the extent of the current Trail. Any Venues outside this area would need approval by the committee.
3. Dates to be available and commitment required
The Trail dates are the first two weekends in May
Studios are open from 10.30am – 5.00pm and the artist is present during the opening hours.
Preview Exhibition in the Oxmarket
Runs from a Tuesday to Saturday towards the end of April.
The Launch Party for artists will be held on the Tuesday evening.
On the previous Monday (hanging day) and the final Sunday, artists will be required to drop off and collect their exhibition piece.
A day will be set aside at the beginning of April for artists to collect their Venue signs and supplies. This will also be a social event for artists.
4. What type of work can I exhibit?
Only your own original work, or fine art prints of your work, may be exhibited on the Trail.
5. I don’t have a studio
Whilst we are an ‘Open Studio’ Trail, we are very careful in all publicity, to refer to an artist’s ‘workspace’, ‘working environment’, ‘creative space’ or ‘Venue’. This is to infer that visitors may find an artist creating in all kinds of environment. It is often inspirational to a visitor to see that it is possible to create in a small area of a home and that an ‘all singing, all dancing’ studio is not always necessary!
While it is preferred that artists open their own studio, workplace or home for the Trail, it is evident that not all artists have a Venue suitable to invite hundreds of visitors! In this situation an eligible artist may join one other artist in their Venue, or you can hire a suitable Venue within the Trail area.
A maximum of 2 artists may share a Venue. This preserves the working studio atmosphere and ethos of Chichester Open Studios Art Trail and also supports the artists who choose to open their studios alone.
The above does not apply to Venues which are studio complexes, where an artist has a regular studio space. In the case of a studio complex, all artists working at the site must register for the Trail.
Galleries or art spaces promoting the work of other artists at the same time as the Trail, cannot participate.
Artists, for a variety of different reasons, may benefit from inviting another artist to share their Venue. An artist wishing to share, or offer a place for one other artist in their studio, can contact us with their details and we will attempt to match you up.
8. Each artist is required to register and pay as an individual
The fee for joining the 2020 Trail is £95 per artist.
- Each artist has an entry in the Art Trail Guide; in 2019, 21,000 of these were made available to artists for distribution.
- The information from the artist’s registration form is uploaded to the website. Each artist has a webpage with 3 images, an artist’s statement, description of work, location and directions to their studio.
- All Venue requirements are included and Art Trail signs to direct your visitors.
- There are social media sites, a blog, website features and regular Newsletters to artists. Artists may send information to add to the online marketing.
- An Art Trail Preview Exhibition, with a piece of work by every Trail artist, is held at the Oxmarket Gallery. This serves as a taster for visitors in the run up to the Trail, and also as a gathering for participating artists.
Please note: An additional fee will be charged to process subsequent alterations to registration details after the deadline. Registration fees are non refundable. We cannot refund this fee for any reason – it covers the administrative cost of processing your registration and contributes towards costs of organising the event.